Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Season Opener


Race one is now behind us. Last year I ran in the "100% Irish for a day" race. It was a 10 mile race, two laps around Lake Harriet and one around Calhoun. I loved it and had to do it again this year. My training has been great this season thus far. Very balanced, I would say that I am at least a month a head of last season at this point and less weight to loose coming in.
My goal this season is to improve my bike portion of my triathlon races and keep if not increase the swim and run.
I have signed up for one race a month though July, the first three being running races. Last Saturday was #1!
This year I felt I was in better shape so my goal was to stay injury free and to push hard to see where I am at right now. I came in right where I wanted to be with a 6:47 min mile @ 1:07:43 finish. I was hoping for anything less than last years 6:58. So I was delighted about that. I did however work much harder than I expected. I was exhausted for the last three miles of the race. My sleep and nutrition was great the two days coming into the race and race day was great. No problems at all. I am so excited to have the first one done!

We had a mini vacation last week with mom, dad, Erin and Adison, up at Breezy Point Resort. A wonderful relaxing time if that's possible with three little ones entertaining us. We spent a lot of time every day in the pool, reading and playing games. We came home in a blizzard and now this week it is in the 50's and 60's. What a perfect way to say good by to winter....I hope!


Work is a bit slow, but it is allowing me to keep up with things around here. Bijou continues to be our little sweet heart. We have entered the copy cat stage, what a riot. Armand is becoming pretty durable now so they have been playing together much more. That little guy is all ready standing up on everything and soon will be walking along everything. Armand is like his sister with teeth, eight in eight months and more soon to come. He is going to be a hand full when he gets to walking. All ready non stop, getting into everything he can reach.




Church continues to be a blessing. The kids love their child care rooms and the people we meet have been so genuine. Not what we expected from such a big church.

Spring is officially here this Saturday and after this winter we sure deserve some good weather!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Sounds like a great "opener" in more ways than one! Great to read your update, Andrew. Love seeing the family pics! The kids are getting so big. Enjoy your spring weather... hope it's there to stay!

Greenking17 "TRI-harder" said...

Great stuff! I ran 8 miles while you were running 10...wish i could have done it, but life is not always allowing.

Great quote at the end, miss you my friend, lets catch up soon.

Sean